Monday, July 7, 2008

Stealing Bases

I have been reading the mp3 blog Said the Gramophone a lot lately, and I absolutely love it. So, without pretense, I am going to sort of copy it for the time being, and see how this works, and see if I am motivated to continually post. Perhaps I could find a couple people who would like to share posting duties? Perhaps not.

Copeland - "When You Thought You'd Never Stand Out"

This is the last track on their latest album, "Eat, Sleep, Repeat", which never got much of a push from its record labels. Labels? you ask. The story as I understand it is this, and it's sad: Copeland signed to Columbia within a couple months of the album being released on the Militia Group, and Columbia promised to take over and promote the record. As a result, Militia stopped promoting it, for obvious reasons (no financial reason to whatsoever), and as often is the case with major labels, Columbia dropped the ball (and probably half its employees). Unfortunately, then, this album has been under-appreciated. But I believe this song proves that they were at the top of their game. I hope their is a new album soon, and I have a feeling there may be...

In younger days / I'm stealing bases while my mother prays -- buy

The Smiths - "Ask"

As you will hear, the name of the blog comes from the first line of this song. I will admit to being a late-comer to this song. I actually heard it for the first time the other day on the radio in Seattle. I have been a big fan of The Queen Is Dead and Strangeways, Here We Come for a couple years now, but hadn't moved beyond those two albums until now. I can't stop listening to this song!

Shyness is nice, and shyness can stop you / From doing all the those things in life you'd like to -- buy

-Dan

9 comments:

the kid said...

i like the post. very insightful and very true. keep it up, please come back to dallas soon with sherwood...i miss you guys.

Nick said...

good post...and I agree with what you're saying about Copeland. Love that song. Is that why the band, from what I believe, left Columbia?

Melanie said...

I love the entire "Eat, Sleep, Repeat" cd, although admittedly, it took me a while to get used to "Where's My Head" I like it now. How can I dislike something that describes me so well? LOL

The band left Columbia, I believe by mutual agreement, because they lost their rep and therefore would have lost any promotion from the label most likely, if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure what the plans are other than I am fairly certain a video is in the works.

I haven't heard The Smiths. I should check it out. Sometimes it takes me a while, but I'm sure I will eventually.

lindsay anne said...

I like that you are doing this.
And yes, Copeland's A&R at Columbia got fired, so Copeland got ignored and they didn't spend a dime on em and as a result got dropped. Columbia actually signed them within 10 days of their album coming out on TMG.

And, this song is quite possibly the best Copeland ever wrote.

Much love, twinsy.

Travis Thompson said...

Dan... very cool. Can you make this into a podcast?

-Trav

Dan said...

nick -- they may have left, may have been dropped. major labels these days are like a minefield...

Dan said...

travis -- as for a podcast, i could try... but i like the idea of having to read something about the song when listening, or before listening. check out that Said the Gramophone blog, and you will see what I mean.

linds -- i should have just asked you before writing it, hahaha. 10 days!! that is like suicide.

brittany said...

dan, you are one of my favorite people in the world.


-brittany

Franny said...

ahh, the smiths. "ask" is a great song, but is there anything they did that i don't adore ? not really.

this blog is fun.