Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Change is difficult.

In a recent conversation with Chris Bradstreet, one of Sherwood's managers, he said that usually when he gets a band's new album, for the first few listens, he just wishes it was the old album, and fights the urge to just put on the familiar, loved songs. But after awhile, the new album becomes a part of him, and he can then love both.

I am experiencing this pretty big time right now with the new My Morning Jacket album, Evil Urges. I loved the previous album, Z, so much, and I keep wanting this new one to be a continuation of the previous album. But, as a recording artist myself, I know that I will never want to or attempt to make a new version of the same old thing. So how can I wish it on other artists? In honor of this dilemma, today's post will be a song from the new album, and then a song from the old album. If you have never heard either, perhaps you can decide which you like more. For those of us who loved Z, let's just hope we can learn to love Evil Urges as much, more, or almost as much.

My Morning Jacket - "Thank You Too" (from Evil Urges) -- buy

Oh, you really saw my naked heart / You really brought out the naked part

My Morning Jacket - "Anytime" (from Z) -- buy

I know we didn't, know we didn't wait too long / 'Cause anytime's a good time to move on

-Dan

p.s. it should also be noted that MMJ had three albums before these two, and are an amazing band with an amazing catalogue, so please don't stop here!

2 comments:

Alex Leach said...

I never loved this band until i listened to this song. thanks, I'm definitely going to buy this album.

musicaltiger said...

Before now I'd not heard any of their music. I'm hooked on it now. The thing I like about a band's new album is that it will most likely be very different, yet there are always those special underlying qualities that the band will always have.