Friday, July 11, 2008

Friday = Weekend = Excitement

Everyone knows what Friday feels like. You've already ordered the ice cream sundae, and you can see them finishing it up, dropping the crushed peanuts on top of the chocolate fudge. It is placed on the counter. They go to the long, silver microphone to call your number, but they needn't go through the effort. Your hands are on the tray; you are walking to your table, already enjoying the cold, tasty treat. It's Friday.

Queen - "Don't Stop Me Now"

Many people listen to really fast, or really heavy, or really masculine music when they want to get pumped up. But I don't know a single song that gets me more pumped than this one, in some ways opposite to conventional pump-up music: written and sung by a gay man (lyric: "I wanna make a supersonic man outta you!", over-the-top theatrical vocals, led by a piano rather than guitars. What does this say about me? Nothing really, other than that I am definitely "having a good time," and "I don't want to stop at all." -- buy

The Specials - "Pressure Drop"

This is a cover -- the original is by reggae group Toots & the Maytals. This version was featured on the soundtrack for the film Grosse Point Blank with John Cusack and Mini Driver, both of whom I love. This is just such a fun song, and for some reason I particularly love the Specials' take on it. I grew up on ska and punk in junior high, and ska will never completely leave me. It is also worth tracking down the Toots version; it can be found on the soundtrack for The Harder They Come.

-Dan

1 comment:

Jess :]] said...

Your description of Fridays was awesome. And made me crave a sundae :)
I love that Queen song. Only, I have the McFly cover of it. But now I'm glad to have the original version. And I really like the Pressure Drop song. Thanks for those! Have a nice weekend. :)