Saturday, July 12, 2008

Saturdays can be Spiritual, too.

I probably should have saved this entry for tomorrow, but I woke up this morning, having fallen asleep to Marvin Gaye's What's Going On last night, moving slowly and feeling love in my heart, life outside my window.

Marvin Gaye - "What's Happening Brother"

Far lesser-known that the successful title-track single, I have always liked it just a little bit more than "What's Going On." It's like WGO's little (what's happening) brother, and the chord changes/melody at "Say man, I just don't understand what's goin' on across this land" slays me every time. We get it again in the second verse, with a slightly different melody and what is probably the lyrical crux of the song: "And tell me friend, how in the world have you been?" This is not a song for a drunken late-night talk between old co-workers. This is coffee on Saturday morning, an old friend from years past. You love this friend, wish you would have seen them more often, can't believe how good it is to see them. "How in the world have you been?" -- buy

Van Morrison - "Astral Weeks"

I once read someone describe The National's newest album Boxer as "flawless." I thought this was a good description, fitting. There isn't a single guitar part, melody, lyric choice that I have ever felt was out-of-place or poorly selected. That album is one of my favorites of last year, perhaps my whole life. Astral Weeks is definitely NOT flawless; there are timing mistakes (lots), even missed notes. But it goes so far beyond flawless -- "flawless" means the absence of detracting points. Astral Weeks is so full of life that it is bursting, tearing, causing its players to occasionally speed up, causing Van to repeat his words more than he planned, but as a listener you forgive, you forgive, you forgive, and you say, "Thank you. It's OK. It's beautiful." (The album is only $5.99 on iTunes right now; I don't know if that is a limited time offer or what, but if you don't have it, you need to buy it right now. Right now.)

Ain't nothing but a stranger in this world
I'm nothing but a stranger in this world
I got a home on high
In another land
So far away
Way up in the heaven
In another time
In another place
Way up in the heaven
We are goin' up to heaven
We are goin' to heaven
In another time
In another place
In another time
In another place
In another face
-- Buy this album! Best $6 you will ever spend.

1 comment:

Travis Thompson said...

you talked me into it... I'm always down for some Van Morrison.