Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Meteorite is the Source of the Light.

Joanna Newsom - "Emily"

This is what a Ballet would sound like if it were a song. A Ballet performed entirely on wires by trapeze artist dancers, on ten different wires, wearing pink, green, sky blue, their colors swirling together, and the backdrop for the performance changing every 2 minutes to day, then night, then day, then night. The first time you watch, you don't understand a whole lot; its colors are almost confusing and the organization is unclear. But you come back the next night and the next night and spend all your savings to come back every night and see this crazy colored mess, and each night you get a little more of the structure and the genius behind the pandemonium.

Give yourself some time; it's 12 minutes long, and worth your full attention.

Anyhow - I sat by your side, by the water
You taught me the names of the stars overhead that I wrote down in my ledger
Though all I knew of the rote universe were those pleiades loosed in december
I promised you I‘d set them to verse so I'd always remember

That the meteorite is a source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid of the fire that propelled it to thee

And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void that lies quiet in offering to thee
-- buy on iTunes

-Dan

1 comment:

lindsay anne said...

love love love love love her. This song is genius, although, I still prefer the Milk Eyed Mender as an album. Also, Collin Malloy (of the Decemberist's) cover of 'Bridges and Ballons' is fantastic.